It's just another Sunday afternoon. I am sitting here blogging while everyone else takes a nap and I in between loads of laundry. Oh, laundry....my nemesis...
Anyway, I am still on my little mission to catch up on here. I haven't skipped any major happenings though.
The kids had their first Wacky Wednesday at church. They dress up all crazy (my kids do anyway) and meet up at the church to eat dinner before regular class time.
They usually have a special project they work on together also. The main thing I hear them talk about is when they do Snack Pack for Kids. They put together these packs of snacky food that they later pass out at various schools for kids that may not get a good meal over the weekend. Isn't that sad to think about? We talk about these missions that people participate in for third-world countries that are starving to death and that is GREAT!! I think that is necessary to help those that can't help themselves since we are such a wealthy nation. The statistics are absolutely shocking on the number of child deaths there are in this world just from malnourishment and starvation alone!! But sometimes our efforts to help people that seem "out of sight, out of mind" and desperate halfway around the world distracts us from the poverty right here in front of us. We do think of ourselves as the wealthiest nation in the world and I'm not sure if that is 100% correct, but we are pretty darn close to it if not. And yet, we have just as big of a crisis than any other country! How could this be?! It is heart breaking to think about. These are people, a lot of them children, that are in an arms length away from us! This is the United States of America and we have children, HELPLESS children, going to bed hungry every night!!! Just unbelievable.....so, Wacky Wednesday!! Our Children's Minister is such an amazing lady. Just a true gift from God. She has joined efforts with this organization and has involved our youth to teach them such a vital life lesson. So once a month, the kids come together to pack snack packs for hungry kids in our community. Helping one child at a time. I am not a millionaire by any means, but I feel so guilty knowing we could make such minute sacrifices in our family that would probably not even effect our daily living at all and make such a huge impact in our community. Definitely time for our family to sit down and make some changes.
Now, off of my soap box....while we are on the subject of changes, I am proud to say that our chore chart is still going strong and has become pretty successful. We had our first dip into the prize box and it made their hard work seem worth it. Now I am not being some ridiculous parent that puts gift cards or fancy gadgets in there to keep their interest. Madison was the first one to fill up her chart and she chose a 50 cent color pad and Braxton chose a clicky pen. Nothing fancy at all, just a simple thank you for contributing to our family. :)
The girls completed theirs several days later, but were not impressed with the idea of me taking their picture....
Not a whole lot more to update at this point, but we are getting ready to head to Maxwell's Pumpkin Farm tonight. A new family tradition we started two years ago. So, be prepared for my next post....ridiculous amount of pictures, I tell you! Ridiculous!!!
Anyway, I am still on my little mission to catch up on here. I haven't skipped any major happenings though.
The kids had their first Wacky Wednesday at church. They dress up all crazy (my kids do anyway) and meet up at the church to eat dinner before regular class time.
They usually have a special project they work on together also. The main thing I hear them talk about is when they do Snack Pack for Kids. They put together these packs of snacky food that they later pass out at various schools for kids that may not get a good meal over the weekend. Isn't that sad to think about? We talk about these missions that people participate in for third-world countries that are starving to death and that is GREAT!! I think that is necessary to help those that can't help themselves since we are such a wealthy nation. The statistics are absolutely shocking on the number of child deaths there are in this world just from malnourishment and starvation alone!! But sometimes our efforts to help people that seem "out of sight, out of mind" and desperate halfway around the world distracts us from the poverty right here in front of us. We do think of ourselves as the wealthiest nation in the world and I'm not sure if that is 100% correct, but we are pretty darn close to it if not. And yet, we have just as big of a crisis than any other country! How could this be?! It is heart breaking to think about. These are people, a lot of them children, that are in an arms length away from us! This is the United States of America and we have children, HELPLESS children, going to bed hungry every night!!! Just unbelievable.....so, Wacky Wednesday!! Our Children's Minister is such an amazing lady. Just a true gift from God. She has joined efforts with this organization and has involved our youth to teach them such a vital life lesson. So once a month, the kids come together to pack snack packs for hungry kids in our community. Helping one child at a time. I am not a millionaire by any means, but I feel so guilty knowing we could make such minute sacrifices in our family that would probably not even effect our daily living at all and make such a huge impact in our community. Definitely time for our family to sit down and make some changes.
Now, off of my soap box....while we are on the subject of changes, I am proud to say that our chore chart is still going strong and has become pretty successful. We had our first dip into the prize box and it made their hard work seem worth it. Now I am not being some ridiculous parent that puts gift cards or fancy gadgets in there to keep their interest. Madison was the first one to fill up her chart and she chose a 50 cent color pad and Braxton chose a clicky pen. Nothing fancy at all, just a simple thank you for contributing to our family. :)
The girls completed theirs several days later, but were not impressed with the idea of me taking their picture....
Not a whole lot more to update at this point, but we are getting ready to head to Maxwell's Pumpkin Farm tonight. A new family tradition we started two years ago. So, be prepared for my next post....ridiculous amount of pictures, I tell you! Ridiculous!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment